I apologize for not being as consistent with the weekly updates as I have in the past. I hope that everyone had a great holiday from school, and I was certainly happy to see everyone back last week!
Lots of things going on, so here’s an update on December:
1. Today was the first day of Human Growth and Development for the students; the last day will be tomorrow. Each course lasts for an hour.
2. We also had STEM lab today for the last hour of the day.
3. Wednesday will be the students’ field trip to Lassiter to hear the symphony orchestra (we will be back in time for our regularly scheduled lunch).
4. From Mr. Frankel: The final installment for Rock Eagle is due by 12/20. The new total per student will be $105.25, instead of $130. Any chaperone that is not paid in full by December 20th will be removed from the chaperone list and we will roll their payment to cover any outstanding balance for their student. For any additional money that is not used can be refunded with a written note requesting a refund. The final installment, due by December 20th is $15.25 per student and $30 per chaperone.
5. We are fortunate to have two opportunities to have winter break celebrations this year; the first is Mr. Julian’s celebration on the 18th (time TBD) and the second will be a full fifth grade celebration on the 15th from 9:00am-10:00am.
6. Early Release Days are on the 19th and 20th.
7. Report cards go home on January 5th
8. PTA: Movie Night is on December 8th from 6pm-9pm; Smoothie Sale is on December 13th, and Chic-fil-A Biscuit day is on December 14th.
Students are learning:
· Math – continuing to work on adding and subtracting mixed and improper fractions with unlike denominators, and will begin working on solving fractional problems related to line plots toward the end of the week.
· Science – Students are finishing up their Circuit Houses this week; I can’t wait to take pictures and share. I’m so proud of the products that they are coming up with!
· Reading/SS – Continuing to learn about the wagon trails and reading Libby.
· Language – Shortening, Lengthening, and Combining sentences
· Homework for Tue-Thursday has been uploaded; there is no vocabulary review this week.
A. I’ve began a Donor’s Choose project to try to raise money for six Chromebooks, which I think will benefit everyone in the classroom. Our technology is unfortunately limited, so this will allow computers to be available on a daily basis. Please share this link with your friends so we can reach our goal! Link: https://goo.gl/ZtjFw4
B. We are exceptionally short on Dry Erase Markers…if anyone has the opportunity to donate any to the class, it would be very appreciated.
Any questions, please let me know!